Thursday, August 30, 2012

"Who are the rich?"

Socrates’ prayer from the conclusion of Phaedrus (279).

Socrates: Shouldn't we offer a prayer?

Phaedrus: Certainly.

Socrates: O beloved Pan, and all other gods who inhabit this place, give me beauty in the inward soul, and that whatever things that are outward may be in harmony with what is inside me. May I reckon that it is only the wise who are rich, and may I have only as much gold as a temperate man can bear and carry.

Is there anything else that we can ask for, Phaedrus? The prayer, I think, is sufficient for me.

Σωκράτης:  Οὐκοῦν εὐξαμένῳ πρέπει τοῖσδε πορεύεσθαι;

Φαῖδρος:  Τί μήν;

Σωκράτης: Ὦ φίλε Πάν τε καὶ ἄλλοι ὅσοι τῇδε θεοί, δοίητέ μοι καλῷ γενέσθαι τἄνδοθεν· ἔξωθεν δὲ ὅσα ἔχω, τοῖς ἐντὸς [279c] εἶναί μοι φίλια. Πλούσιον δὲ νομίζοιμι τὸν σοφόν· τὸ δὲ χρυσοῦ πλῆθος εἴη μοι ὅσον μήτε φέρειν μήτε ἄγειν δύναιτο ἄλλος ἢ ὁ σώφρων.  Ἔτ᾽ ἄλλου του δεόμεθα, ὦ Φαῖδρε; Ἐμοὶ μὲν γὰρ μετρίως ηὖκται.
 
(Translation from the original Greek text by Sergio Caldarella)